The early childhood field is in the midst of a significant transformation with the influx of public investments targeted to provide more young children with access to high quality early education and care. Multiple policy drivers impact effective teaching, such as quality rating and improvement systems, state teacher evaluation systems, and program quality expansion. We know that in order to impact children’s learning these policies must be implemented at a sufficient scale and depth at the local level to promote effective teaching and learning from birth through kindergarten.
This project is designed to address the following questions:
- What are the consistent supports and sensible accountability systems needed to drive teaching quality that will result in improved outcomes for children?
- What guidance, advice or best practice can we give to states about the “powerful and few” core state policies that improve teaching quality and result in significant outcomes for children?
The resources and products of this project conducted by BUILD and CEELO are supported by their participation as National Partners in the Alliance for Early Success.
NEW! 2016 State Policy Learning Table Resources houses materials from the Credentialing and the Instructional Tools Cohorts.
NEW! Sharpening the Focus: Helping Fine-Tune Policies and Practices to Promote Effective Teaching and Learning in the Early Years explores what supports and systems are needed to drive teaching quality that will result in improved outcomes for children and the “powerful and few” core policies are needed to improve teaching quality and result in significant outcomes for children. CEELO’s Jana Martella and Kate Tarrant (BUILD Initiative) presented on June 7th, 2016 at the 2016 NAEYC PDI Conference in Baltimore, MD.
NEW! Sharpening the Focus: State Policy to Promote Effective Teaching that Improves Learning: The BUILD Initiative and the Center for Enhancing Early Learning Outcomes (CEELO) have been working together with state leaders and national experts to strengthen policy that promotes effective early childhood teaching, birth through 3rd grade. A result of our ongoing collaboration, “Sharpening the Focus: State Policy to Promote Effective Teaching that Improves Learning” encourages state policymakers and their partners to critically review professional development and accountability policies, offers guidance on policy implementation, and makes recommendations for the “powerful and few” core state policies that can improve teaching and learning for all young children.
ALSO NEW! A Discussion Guide was also created which focuses attention on the important role of teaching conditions in fostering quality early childhood teaching. Supportive teaching conditions are critical to promote a culture of collaboration, mutual respect, and sustained professional learning in which teachers and children thrive. To support state systems-builders and policymakers, the “Enhancing Teaching Conditions to Support Quality Teaching: Discussion Guide and Crosswalk” reviews available tools that assess teaching conditions and poses policy and systems questions to assist leaders to craft the most effective policy-to-practice supports in this area.
Think Tank on State Policy to Promote Effective Teaching and LearningThe BUILD Initiative and the Center on Enhancing Early Learning Outcomes convened a one day, “think tank” on state policy to promote effective teaching and learning on October 14, 2014 in Seattle, WA. The purpose of the meeting was to begin a conversation with selected state leaders and national experts to identify the central questions, key research, and best practices that assist states in implementing high quality programs, supporting effective teaching, and, most importantly, improving learning outcomes for young children.
Providing a Framework – State Policy to Enhance High Quality, Culturally Competent Teaching
April 28-29, 2015 – Chicago, IL
- In-Person Meeting Participant Agenda – 2015 State Policy Learning Table
- Work Plan Template – 2015 State Policy Learning Table
- Session One PPT as PDF – 2015 State Policy Learning Table
- Camille Catlett’s Session One PPT as PDF – 2015 State Policy Learning Table
- Aisha Ray’s Session One PPT as PDF – 2015 State Policy Learning Table
- Shannon Riley-Ayers’ Session One PPT as PDF – 2015 State Policy Learning Table
- Dorothy S. Strickland’s Session One PPT as PDF – 2015 State Policy Learning Table
- Cultural Competency: What It Is and Why It Matters
- Early Childhood Literacy: Policy for the Coming Decade
- Early Literacy: Policy and Practice in the Preschool Years
- From All to Each and Every: Building Professional Development Systems that Support Each Child and Family
- Linking Early Literacy Research and the Common Core Standards
- Teaching Diverse Learners
- Session 2: Webinar “Advancing States’ Professional Development Policies to Focus on Effective Teaching”
- Session 3: Webinar “Streamlining States’ Teacher Accountability Approaches”
- Session 4: Webinar “Integrating Teaching Conditions into States’ Professional Development and Accountability Structures”
- Session 5: Webinar “State Presentations”
In 2016, CEELO and BUILD are providing technical assistance to 12 states teams in a State Learning Table that promotes peer exchange and best practice to align and enhance state policy that improves the quality of teaching. State teams gathered with experts and facilitators in a 1.5-day face-to-face meeting in March 2016. The Learning Table is also providing 8 follow-on webinars from April through August, 2016 on topics related to instructional tools and career pathways. Each state has the support of a TA lead and is developing a strategic plan to meet their goals
- Learning Table Overview
- All Resources from 2016 Cohort (Sessions 1-5)
- Application for Cohort 2
- March 2016 Meeting – Rosemont, IL -Travel Agenda
All resources, materials, and webinar slides for Co-hort 2 are available here.