CEELO has developed the Cost of Preschool Quality & Revenue (CPQ&R) calculator, a free Excel-based tool, to help users determine costs and funding sources related to implementing high-quality preschool programs.
Here you will find links to useful resources: Background Information, User Guide, Communications Toolkit, and Additional Resources.
CPQ&R Background Information
- Description of the CPQ&R describes what the calculator does and how it can be used.
- Design Considerations of the CPQ&R describes why it was created.
- Orienting Yourself to the CPQ&R describes the seven excel worksheets that make up the calculator.
- Determining the Quality Standards that Drive Cost Projections describes the 10 NIEER Preschool Quality Standards (2016) and how they can be customized.
- Using the CPQ&R to Estimate Available Funding describes how to enter revenue, by funding source, including restrictions of certain funding sources.
- Changes Made to the CPQ&R describes updates made from previously released CPQ 2.0 version.
CPQ&R User Guide
This is the “how to section” for learning more about entering data and producing cost estimates that are customized to your specific goals. We recommend printing the CPQ&R User Guide and keeping it “by your side” as you manipulate and enter data in the CPQ&R. The Before You Start document and the Data Checklist (MSword) are also helpful to review before you start entering data.
- Annual Slots
- Funding Streams
- Quality Standards
- State-Level Infrastructure and Costs
- Provider-Level Infrastructure and Costs
- Adding Scenarios
Resources here will help users present cost and revenue data from CPQ&R in a variety of communication formats. The toolkit offers talking points, quotes from national experts, resources for more information, and graphics, along with printable handouts.
- Creating Graphics with the data produced by the cost projections of the CPQ&R, and as illustrated in the Communications Toolkit.
CPQ&R Additional Resources
- This CPQ&R FAQ addresses common concerns to help you get going sooner rather than later.
- Modifying the CPQ&R for your specific goals.
- Checking Assumptions and Cost Projections for Reasonableness.
- Additional Training and Technical Assistance Opportunities for using the CPQ&R are available.
- Webinar: Why Understanding the Costs of Preschool Quality is Important. This webinar demonstrates the use of the Cost of Preschool Quality Tool (CPQ). (July 2016, Webinar)
- Data is Our Friend: Understanding the Costs of Quality – presentation on using the Cost of Preschool Quality and Revenue tool to get good data on costs of high quality early learning programs to drive policy decisions. (CCSSO-SCASS, February 2018)