Early Ed in ESSA: Helping Every Child Succeed – ESSA BLOG – Round 2!
CEELO is partnering with New America on a blog series focused on how states have implemented early childhood policies and programs in their Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) plans. The series, kicking off in September, will assess progress one-year into ESSA in five areas: school quality indicators, school improvement, data and transparency, educator support and family engagement and transitions.
State, national and local education leaders are invited to share blogs discussing ESSA implementation, emerging obstacles and solutions, and early success. If you are interested, please contact Lori Connors-Tadros at CEELO or Laura Bornfreund at New America.
Interested in writing for the Early Ed in ESSA Blog? Download and send us this fill-able form [MSword].
This major federal education law provides both significant flexibility and opportunity to state and local education agencies. While early childhood education (ECE) has always been recognized by federal education law, ESSA “provides an open door for states to expand early learning opportunities.” (Unlocking ESSA’s Potential to Support Early Learning)
Here you can find blogs by early childhood education scholars and researchers exploring key issues raised by ESSA and its implementation, such as:
- Blog #1 – What’s the Right Thing to do for Every Child to Succeed? (04/25/17)
- Blog #2 – Looking Before They Leap: How ESSA Can Help Students Transition (05/02/17)
- Blog #3 – All in the Family: Supporting Students through Family Engagement in ESSA (05/09/17)
- Blog #4 – Concerning English Learner Policy Trends in States’ New School Accountability Systems (05/16/17)
- Blog #5 – Using ESSA to Tackle Chronic Absence from Pre-K to K-12 (05/23/17)
- Blog #6 – School Improvement Starts Before School: Under ESSA, States Can Start Re-orienting Districts Towards the Early Years (05/30/17)
- Blog #7 – Relationships Matter: How States Can Include Teacher-Child Interactions in ECE and ESSA Plans (06/06/17)
- Blog #8 -Leading the Way: How States Are Addressing Early Learning Under ESSA (06/13/17)
- Blog #9 -States Detail Strategies to Invest in the Early Childhood Workforce in Their ESSA Plans (06/20/17)
- Blog #10 – Tips for Building ECE into ESSA School Improvement Plans (06/27/17)
- Blog #11 – Early Childhood Special Education and ESSA: A Great Opportunity for All (07/11/17)
- Blog #12 – Making ESSA Work in Early Childhood Classrooms for Dual Language Learners (07/18/17)
- Blog #13 – Using ESSA to Build a Birth-to-Third Grade Early Education Continuum (07/25/17)
- Blog #14 – Social and Emotional Learning Under ESSA (08/01/17)
- Blog #15 – Leveraging Local Needs Assessments and Plan Development to Support Early Learning in ESSA (08/08/17)
- Blog #16 – Takeaways from New America and CEELO Blog Series on Early Learning and ESSA (09/05/17)
- Blog #17 – Using Data-Driven Indicators to Improve Outcomes for Young Learners (09/25/17)
Our goal is to inform educators and policymakers, as well as spark conversations about how best to enable every child to succeed under ESSA. We recommend accessing our Early Learning and ESSA page to find relevant and timely resources. Please share your feedback and ideas.